top of page

What Do We Mean When We Say "Bleed" In Printing?

Here at C-Slide we require bleed

for printing either custom packaging or when we flood print on products such as our Razor Webcam Cover.

But what exactly is "Bleed"?

Why do we need it?


"If you’re new to the world of print, then you may not understand what full bleed printing is. To prevent your printed product from having unsightly white lines around the border, you must set your document up with bleeds. Bleed refers to an extra 1/8”

(0.125 in) of image or background color that extends beyond the trim area of your printing piece. The project is printed on an oversized sheet that is then cut down to size with the appearance that the image is “bleeding” off the edge of the paper.

It is best practice to set up your bleeds at the very beginning of your project so you don’t have to adjust at the end. There are a few extra terms you must understand along with bleed are trim, safety, and borders.

Full bleed printing is only possible when the project is printed on larger sheets, then trimmed down to size. Just like you can’t print up to the edge on your home printer, neither can we."

Click the link to read the full article


We require that all custom packaging art has bleed of 0.25 inches for us to accurately print and cut your art to the whatever card size you are wanting. For example if you are doing a 4" x 6" card we would need your art to be 4.25" x 6.25". The Bleed is shown in the above image as a Yellow Box in our card templates.

The Red Line represents the Trim Line. This is where our cutting machine will cut out the card at exactly whatever size the card is going to be. Anything outside of the red line (in the yellow box) will be trimmed off.

The Blue Line in the template is the Safety Line or the Margin. While the bleed has an extra 0.25 inches added, the safety line will be 0.25 inches less that the final trim size. So if your card is 4" x 6" the safety line will be 3.75" x 5.75". If there is any text or important imagery like a logo we highly recommend it does not extend past the safety line so it is not in any danger of being too close to the trim line or accidentally get trimmed off entirely.

For our products that we offer flood printing, like our Razor Webcam Cover, we require a 1/8" (0.125") bleed for your art. This helps us to be able to print your art in the print area as centered as possible without risk of showing unprinted edges of the product. So the maximum print area for the Razor Webcam Cover is 0.40"x0.95" we will need your flooding printing art to be 0.525"x1.075".


For More Information Watch This Video by Jeremy


bottom of page